Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Confessions of an Obsessive Compulsive Genealogist



I’ve never actually been diagnosed with an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, but I do tend to do things with extreme passion.

Since the 1970s I’ve had a passion for canoeing and studying North America’s fur trade.

As far as canoeing is concerned I’ve managed to do canoe trips on a number of lakes and rivers.



The most notable being Canada’s Algonquin Park, Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Montana’s Upper Missouri River, as well as National Parks including the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Yosemite and Canada’s Jasper Park.



My interest in the fur trade led me get involved in historical rendezvous reenactments during the 1980s and 1990s.



I participated in rendezvous camps in several states including California, Arizona, Wyoming and Montana.



Over the years I’ve also acquired a huge collection of books dealing with the North American Fur Trade, its history, art and fiction.

Then, about a decade ago I discovered my previously unknown French-Canadian Voyageur Heritage.

Since then I’ve studied and written extensively about more than 125 relatives involved in the fur trade during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. Most recently I’ve collected documentation for more that two dozen direct great-grandfather voyageurs.



Fur trade collectibles, both historical and replicas, are expensive and hard to come by.



Now, in my late 70s, my options for adventure and exploration are limited, so my passion has turned to collecting.



I am intrigued and consumed with collecting fur trade accoutrements such as trade beads, trade silver, assumption sashes, beaded and quilled knife sheaths, trade knives, canoe cups and replica voyageur clothing items like capotes, tuques and sashes. 

I’ve even managed to get some copies of great-grandfathers’ voyageur contracts. I have one for a great-uncle that is signed by Alexander MacKenzie the famous Canadian explorer.


My kids have no interest in learning about their genealogy and Fur Trade Heritage, but maybe when they are forced to sell my collection, they’ll find something worth knowing.

In case you’ve been following my blogs you know my other passions include horses and Western movies.

I hope you are lucky enough to find some silent places that can only be reached by paddle and portage.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks very interesting. I am also interested in that side of the family Frasier, who came in perhaps 400 years ago to Quebec City. My mother and cousin tried to look up those records in Montreal and Quebec City going on 25 years ago but with little success given the commonness of our last name. my mother was born and grew up in Marquette Michigan and the family legend was that the family was involved in the fur trade perhaps is voyageurs or Coureurs de Bois. I've heard from my mother now deceased that our ancestors were trappers and fur traders. What this means exactly and what our relations were to the tribes I'm not sure.

    Anyway thanks for your work and if you have any suggestions in terms of genealogy I'd be interested in hearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I searched some of the 'Archives of Quebec,' and couldn't locate any records for 'Frasier.' I would search all alternative spellings. I spent a dozen years searching for 'Passino' only to eventually learn it was 'Pinsonneau' and another bunch of variations.

      One last thought... could it be Scottish? Plenty of Scots came to Canada after 1763.

      Good luck, and happy hunting.

      Delete