Friday, August 16, 2019

Voyageurs Moccasins — Souliers De Boeuf


CW Jefferys, Voyageurs and Raftsmen on the Ottawa about 1818

As my followers know I have been studying all aspects of Voyageurs lives for many years. 

Not long ago I came across the term, “Souliers De Boeuf,” and I was sure I had seen it on one of my great-grandfathers engagement contracts.




Sure enough, I found it on my 4th great-grandfather — Gabriel Pinsoneau’s 1797 contract with Jacques and François Lasselle for a trip to Detroit.

His contract notes state, “uen couverte 3 ptes, six aunes de cotton, une pr souliers de boeuf,” meaning (I believe) 3 pants, 6 shirts, and a pair of Beef Shoes.

So what exactly are “Souliers De Boeuf” (Beef or Oxen Shoes)? It turns out they were a heavy cowhide moccasin made by Montreal cordonniers (English: shoemakers) for use by the voyageurs.




The idea behind Souliers De Boeuf was the result of the blending Native American moccasins with French colonial shoes. 



The Beef Shoe from Musée de la Gaspésie


Apparently French inhabitants saw the practicality of deerhide moccasins, and decided to use very thick cowhide to make them stronger and more durable.

Coureur des Bois and North men or "hivernants" most likely wore moccasins made by their Native and Mixed-Blood 'country wives' some of these probably had elaborate beadwork.



Indian Moccasins by CW Jefferys
Native women living in New France or at trading posts often made moccasins for sale to voyageurs, soldiers, and other inhabitants.



Reproduct moccasins are still available from makers like Loyalist Arms

SOURCES:

NativeTech: Native American Technology and Art

Gabe the Shootist
Posted February 21, 2012

Mlle Canadienne
mercredi 22 juin 2016



1 comment:

  1. Hello! Amazing article, I'm actually working on a big story for my site on beef shoes and other native and native-derived footwear and I was hoping that you might be available for a chat. You can reach me at ben [at] stitchdown.com Thank you!! -Ben

    ReplyDelete